|
|||||||||||||||||||
| Kay & John Collins, 2025 |
|||||||||||||||||||
|
Pightles Terrace
|
|||||||||||||||||||
|
and White House Court
|
|||||||||||||||||||
|
This area is complicated!
At the Oswald Road corner is an entrance into the cemetery and to Cemetery Lodge, the former residence for the cemetery caretaker, now called Spruce Lodge, numbered as 42 Harborough Way. This is now separated from the cemetery grounds - it has been extended and faces into Pightles Terrace opposite The Croft. |
|||||||||||||||||||
The first properties were built in 1897 as an addition of the Pightles Estate laid out in 1896. In 1901 there were 4 properties recorded for Pightles Terrace, Harriette J Bull, Arthur Simpson, Josiah George, and David Farmer being the householders, and not yet numbered. The 1906 Jowitt's directory tells us there were 5 properties from Grove Road travelling up Pightles, householders being Mrs M A Warner, Albert James, Josiah George, Edmund Dawson and David Farmer. David Farmer was at No.15, now called The Croft. He had plans passed for plots 161/162 in April 1896. The house adjoins the first pair in Oswald Road at the back, and the tall part of No.11 on the left. By 1906 there were only 5 properties from Redclyffe to the corner opposite the Cemetery Lodge. These were known as Pightles Terrace.
Redclyffe, a villa property was built in Nov 1897 for H Bull [Mrs Harriette Bull] wife of Henry Bull. Just two years later she was a widow, and soon moved Harbororough Road. 1906 Jowitts directory shows her at 70 Harborough Road, next to the factory that her sons were now running.
The Croft is number 15, and faces Spruce Lodge, formerly Cemetery Lodge as the cemetery caretaker's residence. A smaller property adjoining below, can be accessed by a fence gateway from No.15, presumably No.11, as the next property is No.9, known as Pightles Cottage. [No.13 not allocated] |
|||||||||||||||||||
Opposite Pightles Cottage is Harborough Way, leading through to Harborough Road, and another entrance to the cemetery.
|
|||||||||||||||||||
|
Beyond 36 is a block called Pightles Walk.
The next block is known as Cordwainers, which also has Day Centre with a meeting room. It is part of the estate called Southfields, built in 1987 after post war prefabs were demolished.
Across the road is Pightles Terrace, extended by part of White House Court. White House Court runs from 39 Denmark Road, along part of Grove Road, and ends in The Pightles.
|
|||||||||||||||||||
|
Around the corner into the Pightles is the next block of three.
Buildings above here, from Redclyffe to the corner with Oswald Road, were the original five properties called Pightles Terrace, see the first section of this page for the details. |
|||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||