|
The company started in 1919, first as carriers, at Park Place, and gradually expanded into vehicle repairs and sales.
By 1948 the garage buisness was separated as G C Townsend & Son as Haulage Contractors and Furniture Removers and as Townsends (Garages) Ltd at 54 High Street South. They took over the site where Lewis' blacksmiths once stood, and were dealing in Ford and Fordson.
In 1953 the original building (demolished in 1954) is clearly seen behind the petrol pumps. In 1967 this area was again cleared and a new forecourt with covered area over the pumps was built.
In 1973 Townsend Carriers was sold off, but the garage business continued, under the direction of Don Gibson, and later his son Robert, until finally closing down in 2006. A sale of all plant, vehicles and equipment was held on November 21st 2006, when over 600 items were auctioned.
Two photographs, courtesy of Rushden Museum
|